Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dave


Dave is 46 and spends most nights behind a CVS Pharmacy.  When I met him he was hanging out on the asphalt in a parking lot behind Chipotle on Alta Arden.

He wears an old, well-worn, blue Adidas sweatshirt that is inside out.  Dave sports a full and wild beard.

“The hardest thing about this, this living out here is private property,” Dave says while smoking a menthol cigarette  “You have to leave if they ask you and everyone owns everything.  It can be hard.”
.

Dave suffers from schizophrenia and leg pains.  While we’re talking he gets up and stretches occasionally, but for the most part he says that not using them is what helps the discomfort the most.

“I have schizophrenia or at least that’s what they call it, I’m not sure what I would call it,” Dave says.  “I guess I would call it hearing voices.  It’s caused some issues, but I think that there could be some worse things.”

Dave isn’t the type to complain about his situation and when I ask him about what most people complain about (cops, food, shelter and so on) he shrugs each off.

“The cops don’t care about us unless we bother businesses, so I don’t bother businesses,” Dave says. “When it rains I sleep underneath one of the overhangs and I get meals from the Catholic Church on El Camino or, sometimes, Loaves and Fishes downtown.”

It’s hard for Dave to make it downtown and he prefers to stay in the area northeast of the Arden Fair Mall.

“I guess I came to this place naturally,” he says.  “I used to work with my friend about a mile away from here and I must have bought thousands of cups of coffee at the 76 station there.”

It’s hard to get Dave to talk about himself and when I ask questions about where he’s from or what his life has been like I receive fairly vague answers.  What I learn is that Dave lived in Michigan at some point in his life and he has been in Sacramento for at least 26 years.  He worked for 25 years before he found himself homeless.

I am not clear why Dave is homeless.  During the time we talk he touches on his schizophrenia and mentions that he drank heavily for quite a while.

“I find myself with the narcotics sometimes, I’m not loaded right now,” He states clearly and in a very matter of fact tone.  “I quit drinking about a year and half ago, I used to be into that quite a lot… It wasn’t good for me, it just helped to make everything more quiet.”

When I finish talking to Dave the impression that I’m left with is that he might feel some regrets about where he is, but overall he seems happy and functional.  He says that there aren’t a lot of things that he finds himself in need of.

The biggest question that he avoids outright is when I ask him about where he sees himself in the future.  When I pose the question he gets quiet and starts to talk about the large Bank of America building that is across the street from us.

Regardless of Dave’s future plans his situation and brief story are interesting and helpful to illuminate the issue that is homelessness and the people who inhabit that label.

No comments:

Post a Comment